VISIT PHILADELPHIA® today launches a marketing effort to support the economic recovery and growth of Black- and Brown-owned businesses in the wake of COVID-19. The tourism marketing organization will use advertising, web and social media, public relations and more to bring awareness to these small Philadelphia businesses. The initiative kicks off the holiday season with the Love + Grit Sweepstakes, gifting one winner with distinctive items and experiences from Black-owned businesses that will gain increased exposure.
“Black- and Brown-owned businesses are vital to the fabric of Philadelphia, and we want to make it easy for everyone to find them and shop at them during the holidays and into 2021 — whether that’s online or in person,” said Jeff Guaracino, president & CEO, VISIT PHILADELPHIA. “People want to be part of our region’s economic recovery, and one way they can do that is by buying gifts from these vital businesses found in more than 35 neighborhoods and towns throughout our region.”
“As restrictions persist and calls for equality and justice continue, there is an opportunity for all of us to make change and strengthen the community by supporting Black- and Brown-owned businesses,” said Rachel Ferguson, chief innovation and global diversity officer, VISIT PHILADELPHIA.
The integrated marketing initiative is part of VISIT PHILADELPHIA’s continuing efforts to support Black- and Brown-owned businesses and supplement the City of Philadelphia’s commitment to cultivating and growing small, diverse businesses. Highlights include:
- Advertising: Advertising on WXPN and NPR, in The Philadelphia Tribune and other multicultural media outlets, and on social and digital media will encourage locals to support the businesses that make Philly Philly by shopping online and in person, ordering takeout and delivery and more.
- Website: VISIT PHILADELPHIA will continue to develop content promoting Black- and Brown-owned businesses to feature on com/buyblackandbrown, where more than 130 businesses are featured in half-a-dozen articles. In addition, a Google Maps feature in every article pinpoints each shop, restaurant and gallery, making it easier for people to find and shop these businesses. In 2020 alone, Black- and Brown-owned businesses articles on visitphilly.com have sent nearly 50,000 referrals to featured businesses’ websites.
- Search Engine Marketing & Optimization: VISIT PHILADELPHIA will help increase the visibility of Black- and Brown-owned businesses online by optimizing the quality and quantity of web traffic through organic and paid search engine marketing.
- Videos: A brand-new video series will showcase prominent Philly-based, Black-owned businesses such as barbershops and salons (and their services and products) as stylists and clients discuss resilience, current projects, big ideas and more.
- Influencer Marketing: VISIT PHILADELPHIA will share products from local businesses with influencers, so they can help promote them, and invite influencers to appear in the campaign in order to extend its reach.
- Public Relations: VISIT PHILADELPHIA’s media relations team will develop pitches and creative outreach strategies to help ensure the stories of Black- and Brown-owned businesses are featured in influential broadcast, print and online media outlets.
- Marketing Toolkit: VISIT PHILADELPHIA’s #OurTurnToTourist campaign toolkit details how business owners can promote their businesses — some of which will be featured in holiday gift guides appearing on Visit Philly’s social accounts throughout the season — for free using the campaign’s messaging and creative.
Love + Grit Sweepstakes Specifics:
Titled after VISIT PHILADELPHIA’s podcast that debuted in February 2020, the Love + Grit Sweepstakes prize box includes 10 items and experiences valued at nearly $500:
- “Cultured Jawn” T-shirt or sweatshirt, Harriett’s Bookshop
- “Melanin” T-shirt, The Sable Collective
- African-print mask, D’IYANU
- Cloud 9 Clay wiggle mug, YOWIE
- $50 gift card, Star Fusion Express
- $50 gift card, American Hats LLC
- Flourishing Beautea (caffeinated beauty tea), Flourishing Beauty and Wellness
- Holiday lip gloss mini glitter clutch, Ursula’s About Phace Rittenhouse Makeup Studio
- Gift certificate for full-service haircut, Faheem’s Hands of Precision
- Gift card for salon service, Salon Tenshi
The public can enter the sweepstakes, which runs through December 30, 2020, at visitphilly.com/podcast. A winner will be announced after the new year. VISIT PHILADELPHIA will promote the sweepstakes on upcoming episodes of Love + Grit and on its social media channels.
VISIT PHILADELPHIA® is our name and our mission. As the region’s official tourism marketing agency, we build Greater Philadelphia’s image, drive visitation and boost the economy.
On Greater Philadelphia’s official visitor website and blog, visitphilly.com and uwishunu.com, visitors can explore things to do, upcoming events, themed itineraries and hotel packages. Compelling photography and videos, interactive maps and detailed visitor information make the sites effective trip-planning tools. Along with Visit Philly social media channels, the online platforms communicate directly with consumers. Travelers can also call the Independence Visitor Center for additional information.
599 Market Street, (800) 537-7676